Re: [Asrg] 1. Inventory of Problems - Input Needed

2003-11-06 13:21:33
AD wrote:
  I believe that social issues (like lying about opt-in) should be
outside of the scope of this group.

Right.

Currently, the charter
is vague, and very unhelpful.

I can't agree with that. Generalising the problem as a consent / policy /
enforcement thing means we don't start by talking about spam, spammers and
what spammers do. We just (!) need to identify opportunities for
(recipients) policy expression, transmission and enforcement in (or
alongside) the MTS. This isn't vague (it may not be what a lot of people
want to see) and I don't see why this can't be helpful.

For instance, C/R and and other Consent-token schemes don't know anything
much about *spam* and the only thing they assume about *spammers* is that
the business model precludes the human or other resources required to get
through.

A filtering system based on the use of a filtering engine doesn't know
anything about the content of *spam* except that it differs somewhat from
*non-spam* (the particular engine used will know more than this).

Witness the huge volume on the list,
for the first few months.  Most of that volume was caused by people
talking at cross purposes, because no one agreed on a problem
statement.

I agree somewhat. As I remember, much of the traffic was produced by people
touting their own silver bullets or, like you say, talking at cross
purposes - because they weren't using the consent model.