Re: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - Legal - Subject labelling (?)

2003-11-26 07:59:25
Hallam-Baker, Phillip <pbaker(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com>:
I think the bill needs to be read carefully, did the ADV convention ever
make it to Internet standard? I suspect it was experimental.

I have read the bill carefully.

There are various types of commercial material:

1) Advert, Unsolicited, no prior business relationship, cold calling
2) Advert, Prior business relationship
3) Advert, Solicited,
4) Account, presumably solicited
5) Report of transaction, invoice etc.

The point being that it is vital to allow types 4 and 5 through and may be
pretty important to allow type 3 through.

Yes.  These are the categories CAN-SPAM dsecribes as "transactional and
relationship" mail.  They are explicitly exempted from the labeling
requirement.