Re: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - Legal - Subject labelling (?)

2003-11-26 12:29:26
Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
Also, the FTC has a liason relationship with the ASRG, and I contacted our contacts there to clarify the situation. I do not see at the current point an immediate need to make up a standard. While this would be nice to have anyway, the bill has not even been signed into law yet, so there is no rush.

I agree that a standard is premature.

I think it would be useful to look at the range of options and their
implications. If the IETF is going to agree to anything, 18 months is a
laughably short schedule. It can take longer than that from last call to
publication as an RFC.

I still think that the intent of the bill and mentioning IETF in the bill has been in order to make sure that the FTC's plan does not break email standards, NOT that the IETF should go ahead and make up its own standard:

"by means of compliance with Internet Engineering Task Force Standards"

Yakov
-------
Yakov Shafranovich / PGP Key: 0x10D051E6 / www.shaftek.org
SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc. / www.solidmatrix.com