Re: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - Legal - Subject labelling (?)

2003-11-26 12:40:55
Eric S. Raymond wrote:

Chris <asrg(_at_)rebel(_dot_)com(_dot_)au>:

so a blanket "adv" would force me to accept all mail and then try to
filter on content as is the status quo

A blanket advertising label is all that CAN-SPAM requires (I have just read it). Any more elaborate scheme would probably not be enforceable under the Act.

Besides, designing a *classification* system for commercial email
would be a rathole. Endless arguments about how to define the categories. Fudging by the marketeers. Don't go there.

Aren't we pre-empting FTC's authority here? It seems to me that the bill requires the FTC to make the plan in compliance with IETF standards, not that the IETF should make the standards.

HOWEVER, on a related note, having a standard labeling system might help for interoperability between different systems. This is something that perhaps we should expand into.

Yakov

-------
Yakov Shafranovich / PGP Key: 0x10D051E6 / www.shaftek.org
SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc. / www.solidmatrix.com
"Why are both drug addicts and computer aficionados both called users?" (Clifford Stoll)
-------