Re: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - Legal - Subject labelling (?)

2003-11-26 15:50:20

First of all, the primary responsibility for drafting this is on the
FTC, not on the IETF.

Well, yes, and no. Clearly, your FTC have to address "CANSPAM". Coming up
with mechanisms for message labelling is for any interested party

The requirement is that is must be compatible with
IETF standards, not that the IETF has to write standards for this. The
intent seems to be on the email standards, making sure that whatever
labeling scheme they come up with does not interfere with IETF
standards.

I don't believe there are currently any specifically relevant standards.
Given the intent you identify, this is probably a good opportunity.

Second, the Commission has the option of making the
recommendations againt the plan.
Of Course
Third, this is the IRTF and not the
IETF.

Consideration of message labelling seems to me to be well within our
charter.

While our work "feeds" into the IETF process, this may be an
effort done on the IETF side. Fourth, the FTC has 18 months to do this
so there is plenty of time. The FTC will decide how to interact with the
IETF/IRTF.

18 months in which we may come up with something, survey MUAs, Filter
systems and consider making some kind of suggestion to the IETF. At the
rate things seem to go around here - that's a desperate rush :-)

Also, the FTC has a liason relationship with the ASRG, and I contacted
our contacts there to clarify the situation. I do not see at the current
point an immediate need to make up a standard. While this would be nice
to have anyway, the bill has not even been signed into law yet, so there
is no rush.

It's never going to be law for most of the world, that's not really the
point. It's just recently become a hotter topic than hitherto.

Regards,
JK