Re: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - Legal - Subject labelling (?)

2003-11-26 15:58:20
Jon Kyme wrote:
While our work "feeds" into the IETF process, this may be an effort done on the IETF side. Fourth, the FTC has 18 months to do this so there is plenty of time. The FTC will decide how to interact with the IETF/IRTF.

18 months in which we may come up with something, survey MUAs, Filter
systems and consider making some kind of suggestion to the IETF. At the
rate things seem to go around here - that's a desperate rush :-)

Agreed :) I just don't want people to think that this thing is becoming an IETF standard tomorrow :)

Also, the FTC has a liason relationship with the ASRG, and I contacted our contacts there to clarify the situation. I do not see at the current point an immediate need to make up a standard. While this would be nice to have anyway, the bill has not even been signed into law yet, so there is no rush.

It's never going to be law for most of the world, that's not really the
point. It's just recently become a hotter topic than hitherto.

Point taken.
-------
Yakov Shafranovich / PGP Key: 0x10D051E6 / www.shaftek.org
SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc. / www.solidmatrix.com
"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely" (Lord Acton)
-------