RE: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - Pull System (revisited)

2003-11-26 16:02:32
there is no reason why it cannot be a generic e-mail replacement
Implementation is relativally simple

Deployment is not. Do you have the support of any of the major
providers of
email infrastructure?

No of course not but that does not mean that it cannot happen

On the contrary, unless you can persuade Sendmail, Microsoft,
Lotus to take
notice of you your project is dead on arrival.

you only need to convince one, the rest will adopt if not to do so will
leave them unable to connect

this is a research group. we should research and then make
recommendations

This is an engineering workgroup, not a fantasy land workgroup.
The scope is
control of spam. Any protocol changes have to be feasible.

BEFORE you propose throwing out SMTP you have to explain exactly what is
wrong with it and the reason why incremental change is not possible.

Please re read my original post

I do not intend to throw out SMTP they are your words

pull *IS* smtp

with two extra steps outgoing request and incoming accept/deny

both can use the current infrastructure UNCHANGED

You don't seem to be very aware of IETF history, but backwards
compatibility
and support for legacy systems has a huge premium. Forget persuading
Microsoft, you are not going to persuade the IESG the need for a
discontinuous change.

IF the industry did decide to change the email protocol in a
fundamental way
any new protocol would be based on the Web Services framework.

fundamental change ?

again I refer you to my original mail

take a close look at the comparison (steps involved) between current and
proposed

              Phill