RE: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - Pull System (revisited)

2003-11-26 16:02:33

It seems so to me. RSS is strictly a client-initiated pull system. In
essence it is a layer of XML metadata describing resources which are
primarily transferred via HTTP at the request of the client.

To get a RSS "notification system" up and running to replace bulk email
would require a huge investment

You would have to get every one to load a seperate application to their
machine to monitor the rss feeds
or hope they log on to their secured RSS fed web page, and who would host
these fed pages?

And why would a webmaster like myself turn to a system like that?
I know I would not, at the most I would implemented it beside my normal mail
system.
and then send an e-mail message "please look at your RSS feed new info is
available"

Isn't it better to try and fix what everyone already has

if you can do it without requesting that the masses learn a new program then
thats the way we should move

So whether it be a pull system or a dns based sender verification system
(which pull is without the structural changes)
or some new sender identification system.

As long as it enables people to continue using the software they have
familiarised themselves with.

Regards
Chris