Re: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - Pull System (revisited)

2003-11-26 16:09:23
Chris wrote:
It seems so to me. RSS is strictly a client-initiated pull system. In
essence it is a layer of XML metadata describing resources which are
primarily transferred via HTTP at the request of the client.

To get a RSS "notification system" up and running to replace bulk email
would require a huge investment

You would have to get every one to load a seperate application to their
machine to monitor the rss feeds
or hope they log on to their secured RSS fed web page, and who would host
these fed pages?

We are not talking about a notification system, rather we are talking about having the *bulk* email content for things like mailing lists delivered via RSS itself. A person would have a plug-in for his MUA that checks periodically just like POP3 and have the option to reply via email (Paul Judge mentioned in a different thread that these programs already exist).

Yakov

-------
Yakov Shafranovich / PGP Key: 0x10D051E6 / www.shaftek.org
SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc. / www.solidmatrix.com
"Fight spam, but keep it in perspective" (Brad Templeton)
-------