Re: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - depracate all list/bulk mailing and changeto RSS

2003-11-30 22:13:24
On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 12:11:59PM -0800, Bill Pease wrote

Feature Limits:
*Limited to no support for graphically-enhanced content

  That is a good thing.  If I see an interesting headline, I'll click on
the URL, and it'll take me to your super-duper/singing/dancing website.

*Limited support for variety of content types typical in newsletter
 publishing

  It's a list of URLs.  If you have a high-bandwidth and low-bandwidth
version of your website, offer two URLs.

*Limited support for tracking subscriber interaction with content

  Awwwwwwwww.  Guess what... Microsoft is blocking web bugs too...
http://www.wired.com/news/infostructure/0,1377,60781,00.html

*No support for various transactions that can be enabled within email
(e.g., donation, viral marketing).
want really exciting offers daily, I'll point my newsreader at
alt.really.exciting.offers.  If I want something, *I* will initiate the
the contact.  I do *NOT* want to be marketed to via my inbox, any more
than I want to be marketed to via my phone at suppertime.  Do you
understand ?

  It's been my experience that marketing types think that email was
invented first and foremost for marketing and email-blasting.  Wrong; it
was invented as two-way communication.  If a potential customer emails
you asking for a quote on 1000 widgets, reply to their email with the
requested quote.  That is customer service.  Blasting out millions of
unsolicited emails contributes to the destruction of the medium.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes(_at_)waltdnes(_dot_)org>
Email users are divided into two classes;