Re: [Asrg] 6. Proposals: MTA MARK vs port 25 filtering?

2003-12-12 21:29:53
----- Original Message -----
From: "David Maxwell" <david(_at_)crlf(_dot_)net>
To: "Markus Stumpf" <maex-lists-spam-ietf-asrg(_at_)Space(_dot_)Net>
Cc: "Alan DeKok" <aland(_at_)ox(_dot_)org>; <asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Saturday, December 13, 2003 4:42 AM
Subject: Re: [Asrg] 6. Proposals: MTA MARK vs port 25 filtering?

On the flip side, with regard to anyone who didn't want their
network filtered...  "what are they afraid of"?

As one running my server on a small business type DSL connection, allow me
to show you the other side of the medal.

I do not trust my ISP, or any ISP for that matter, to handle my SMTP
traffic. And why? Because having to share an SMTP server with hundreds of
other customers, means I am completely at the mercy of my ISP, and have to
rely on them being responsible. And you know what? They never are. Is the
ISP SMTP server blacklisted somewhere? They do not care; or do not
understand; or do not care enough to understand. To them, I am just one of a
few thousand clients -- see if they care. Oh yes, I was with one of those,
before. You call them, fill in their silly forms at their equally silly web
sites. But, bottom-line, you either never hear back from them, or they
totally brush you off.

I, on the other hand, consider myself a trusted person. :) Though I service
no more than a few hundred users, I run a tight ship, and no spam, or virus,
ever leaves my system. At least not without the client losing his account. I
am not blacklisted anywhere, and probably never will be.

So, I ask my ISP, and any ISP here for that matter, are you willing, and
prepared to put that willingness into contract, that you will guarantee that
your SMTP server will not be blacklisted? Of course, they are quick to
respond that they cannot guarantee any such thing, as blacklisting elsewhere
is not their decision. True, naturally; but, in practice it just means an
ISP uses that excuse to remain lazy and irresponsible. What they want,
really, is your monthly fee. Anything else just makes you an annoying, pesky
customer.

Besides, as a client, you never get to talk to the admin of your ISP. Who
again so aptly mentioned 'flappers' here? You get to a helpdesk flapper, who
understands nothing, and is basically just trained to ask people to plug in
their cables properly, That's about all he can do for you; and all which is
mostly required.

Basically, these odd proposals to block port 25, for home users, is
tantamount to saying only ISP's can run servers. Because that, in effect, is
what it boils down to. So then, what happened to the core function of an
ISP? To provide access to the Internet? I pay good money each month to have
that access, which includes my own mail server. In return, my ISP can
disallow access should abuse occur. But I can live with that, as I know I
will not abuse my connection. I wish I could say the same about my ISP.

- Mark