Re: [Asrg] 6. Proposals: MTA MARK vs port 25 filtering?

2003-12-16 16:52:32
On Sat, Dec 13, 2003 at 12:21:52PM -0500, Alan DeKok wrote:
  How do *I* tell your "responsible" MTA from an "owned" machine
sending spam?  I understand your side of the problem: you want to send
mail.  Please *think*, and try to understand my side of the problem:
Without some additional information, you look *exactly* like a spammer
to me.

If you get a telephone call, how do you tell a serious call from
- a call of an pervert telling you nasty things and masturbating?
- a call of a insurance broker trying to sell you a policy?
without some additional information the serious caller looks *exactly*
like a pervert.

  I don't understand this fervent opposition to change, and to any
attempt to hold people responsible.

What exactly is your definition of
   "to hold people responsible"

To repeat it: our customers
  - have to pay for Internet access
  - are subject to our AUP
  - get their connection terminated on abusive behaviour
  - get their contract terminated (unless their machine has been abused)
  - have to pay for the abuse handling
Isn't that "to hold people responsible"?
If you want more responsibility go ahead and sue them for stealth of
ressources. The problem with that is that most judges are too braindead
to accept that fact and argue that viruses or hackers can't be avoided.
It happens all day to everyone so not updating or securing your server
isn't even negligent.

        \Maex

--
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299