Re: [Asrg] Its all over for Challenge Response

2004-01-31 22:40:07
Alan DeKok wrote:
  You've got it 100% backwards.  Everyone knows (or should know) that
locks won't keep all criminals out.  So the locks obviously aren't
there to keep the criminals out.

They keep everyone out who doesn't have the ability to defeat them.
For those who can, we have layered security (like firearms, dogs and
electronic security systems).

  The locks are there as a public statement by you that people have no
legal right to enter your home.  When someone does, they get charged
with "break and enter", which is a serious crime.  If you did not have
a lock, or left your door open, they would have been charged with
"trespass", which is a lesser crime.  (obligatory IANAL)

  So the conclusion is that locks are a legal statement which permit
the justice system to file more serious charges than they could have
without the locks.  In the same way, technological methods of fighting
spam should be not only used to stop the amateur spammer, they can be
used to leverage more serious charges against the professional
spammer.

This is one of the most silly statements I've seen in my life. Locks
exist to prevent access to something. There is no public statement
because privacy and private access is something you're taught as a
child. My car doesn't have locks to remind you of something you
already know, it's to keep YOU out of someplace you do not belong.

  Despite the recent phenomenal increase in spam, there is still
massive opposition to *doing* anything about the problem.  I remain,
as always, amazed.

There are plenty of people willing to do something about it but
talking isn't doing, is it? This place can never solve or even stem
the problem. It's a research group, research. Not design or
implementation. If anyone cares to make a list for that I'm sure real
progress can be made in short order. And this list has actually been
partially successful; it's shown us all the ideas that won't work, at
least.