RE: [Asrg] Its all over for Challenge Response

2004-02-03 18:37:15
  Let's be grateful that it was a multi-billion dollar giant like AOL
that Sanford Wallace chose to sue, and establish favourable
case-law for the anti-spam side.

Yes, and it is also a good thing that they did not sue some
clown like the SPEWS guy. It was a really bad thing when we ended
up with Emanuel goldstein of 2600 as the front guy on the
DeCSS thing.

So? If we have good domain based authentication much better
for the MTA
to accept any mail that is authenticated and allow the MUA
to perform
filtering on the basis of domain owner reputation.

  What use is a MUA-based filter when your 10-megabyte inbox is
rejecting inbound email because you're over quota ?

If I can tell my ISP what criteria to apply then that is OK for me.

I don't want my ISP making arbitrary decisions about what mail I
receive, I want to make those decisions myself, although I will
probably use third party info to do so.

  But what about the 95% of end-users who don't understand
CIDRs, how to
invoke DNSbls in their filters, and end up begging their ISPs to do
whatever is necessary to stop the flow of spam to their inboxes ?  Why
shouln't they be allowed the *CHOICE* of outsourcing their
spam-blocking?

I am not going to argue on that one, clearly I have the right as an
end user to outsource spam blocking, but that should be my choice
not the ISP.

                Phill