RE: [Asrg] Its all over for Challenge Response

2004-02-01 21:05:03

  Even worse, is the reaction to those who are actually doing
something
about the problem.  Deep pockets from dot-com IPO's sued MAPS
into near
uselessness.  SPEWS stays anonymous to avoid the same fate.

MAPS was undercapitalized for the role they wanted to play and they
got cocky. They were finished once they started talking about
'collateral damage'.

If
technical solutions do succeed in stopping spam, mark my word, you
*WILL* see "must carry" legislation for "legitimate marketing email".

So? If we have good domain based authentication much better for the MTA
to accept any mail that is authenticated and allow the MUA to perform
filtering on the basis of domain owner reputation.

I don't want my ISP making arbitrary decisions about what mail I receive,
I want to make those decisions myself, although I will probably use
third party info to do so.

I agree that the spam issue will change in character once the mafia
spammers are eliminated. Actually that does not help some of the
constituencies I work with, spam scams will probably become more
effective with less competition. Who can believe that 20 nigerians
each day are choosing them to transport cash out of the country?
Who can believe that they screw up their paypal account 5 times a day?

Unfortunately these scams will be more successful when the volume of
attacks falls.

                Phill