RE: [Asrg] Its all over for Challenge Response

2004-02-03 20:22:19

At 2/2/2004 01:59 Monday, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
I don't want my ISP making arbitrary decisions about what
mail I receive,
I want to make those decisions myself, although I will probably use
third party info to do so.

Phill, I think that you are making the almost usual mistake
here in this
group that you assume that everybody on the internet has an
idea what they
are doing.

Actually this is ny main complaint about the IETF establishment.
They still think they have a right to control the future of the net
but they simply don't care about the ordinary user.

These days are over. Since about 10 years people using the
internet have not a single idea about the technical side of it.
99.9% of all mail users would be more than happy when their
ISP would do anything to suppress their spam.

All I think is necessary here is for the ISP to

        * Tell the end user what they are doing
        * Give the user an opportunity to opt out or select different
settings

I think that it would be OK to require ISPs to get consent from
the end user.

What I want to avoid here is a situation where a Rupert Murdoch could
decide to only allow political groups that agree with Fox News to
send mail to customers.

                Phill