Re: [Asrg] Its all over for Challenge Response

2004-02-03 20:38:20
Seth Breidbart wrote:
"Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com> wrote:
All I think is necessary here is for the ISP to
 * Tell the end user what they are doing
 * Give the user an opportunity to opt out or select different
settings

That can always be done by selecting a different ISP.  Therefore, any
problem is self-limiting.

One can only accept that different ISP if one knows what the current ISP is doing. If an ISP started silently dropping mail some random admin didn't like, it could be quite a while before customers realize what's going on. A great deal of legitimate (even critical) mail could be irretrievably lost in that time.

What I want to avoid here is a situation where a Rupert Murdoch could decide to only allow political groups that agree with Fox News to
send mail to customers.

Would you also want to limit the ability of a church that provides
email accounts for its members to limit the ability of opposing
religions to send mail to its members?

Would you also want to limit the ability of a company to limit the
ability of headhunters to solicit its employees?

There would be no limit on those abilities. The only thing important here is that the customers/users be actively told what limits are in place.

--
Philip Miller