Re: [Asrg] Spooked mail addresses

2004-02-04 07:51:42
"Christopher Bird" <seabird(_at_)msn(_dot_)com> wrote:
My knee jerk reaction was "duh" all we have to do is a reverse lookup on
the sending IP address, compare with the domain name in the from and the
return fields and truncate if there was no match. Piece of cake.

  The SMTP RFC's suggest that's a bad idea.  See the LMAP discussion
document for further comments on this topic.

The glitch is that when the email arrives in my inbox, the from address
is the address of the person sending it, not the publication itself.

  Such messages are forged spam.  Nothing else.  Is it really that
difficult for your local browser to copy the web page, and send it?
Or, to send a URL?

  Alan DeKok.