Re: [Asrg] Its all over for Challenge Response

2004-02-01 20:48:41
On Sat, Jan 31, 2004 at 10:22:13PM -0500, Alan DeKok wrote

  Despite the recent phenomenal increase in spam, there is still
massive opposition to *doing* anything about the problem.  I remain,
as always, amazed.

  Even worse, is the reaction to those who are actually doing something
about the problem.  Deep pockets from dot-com IPO's sued MAPS into near
uselessness.  SPEWS stays anonymous to avoid the same fate.

  There are "legitimate" spammers who do not want to see spamming made
totally illegal, because they want to get in on the act once the "bad
spammers" are shut down.  The main difference between them is that "bad
spammers" break the law, while "legitimate spammers" buy politicians to
re-write the law.  This time around they bought opt-out legislation.  If
technical solutions do succeed in stopping spam, mark my word, you
*WILL* see "must carry" legislation for "legitimate marketing email".

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes(_at_)waltdnes(_dot_)org>
Email users are divided into two classes;