Re: [Asrg] Re: 3b. SMTP Verification - Reputation Systems and their Problems (Modified by Anne P. Mitchell, Esq.)

2004-03-04 13:42:25

    C. FEES ASSOCIATED WITH LISTING IN IADB
and about
    PLEASE NOTE THAT IADB IS A PRIVATE SYSTEM, AND APPROVAL IS NOT
    GUARANTEED. FINAL DECISION FOR INCLUSION IN IADB IS AT THE
    DISCRETION OF ISIPP.

To what are you objecting here (if anything?) If we are going to do things like background checks, reference checks, confirming bricks-and-mortar address, maintain the list, keep vigilent as to listees, are you saying we should do that for free? And further, should it *not* be the people listed therein, the senders, who provide those fees?

I'm just not sure to what you are objecting.

The reservation of decision is *terribly* important, so that we don't get a big fat spammer who techinically can say that they meet the other requirements, so that therefore we *have* to list them (you wouldn't want that, would you?)

How about:
   where the definition of "spam" is that generally understood in the
   email sending and receiving industries, and includes unsolicited
   commercial and bulk email.
if this RG has revealed one thing very clearly than that there is no
such thing as a 'generally understood definition of "spam"'.

Right, which is why we cover it *both* ways - we spell out "unsolicited commercial and bulk email", but we *also* have wiggle room so, again, a big ole' spammer can't come along and say "hey, this isn't *really* unsolicited" - but if there are legitimate spam complaints, well, that sure falls within the "generally understood definition of "spam"". If it walks, smells, and quacks like spam, it's likely spam, and this goes directly back to our reservation of rights.

We don't need another company that tries to centralize a service, take
money for it and then tries to play god with fluky rules.

Clearly you're thinking of my *previous* employer. :-b

Anne

Anne P. Mitchell, Esq.
President/CEO
Institute for Spam and Internet Public Policy
Professor of Law, Lincoln Law School of SJ