Re: [Asrg] Re: 3b. SMTP Verification - Reputation Systems and their Problems (Modified by Anne P. Mitchell, Esq.)

2004-03-05 10:59:22
On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 12:38:19PM -0800, Anne P. Mitchell, Esq. wrote:

   C. FEES ASSOCIATED WITH LISTING IN IADB
and about
   PLEASE NOTE THAT IADB IS A PRIVATE SYSTEM, AND APPROVAL IS NOT
   GUARANTEED. FINAL DECISION FOR INCLUSION IN IADB IS AT THE
   DISCRETION OF ISIPP.

To what are you objecting here (if anything?)  If we are going to do
things like background checks, reference checks, confirming
bricks-and-mortar address, maintain the list, keep vigilent as to
listees, are you saying we should do that for free?  And further,
should it *not* be the people listed therein, the senders, who provide
those fees?

I'm just not sure to what you are objecting.

I am objecting that "FINAL DECISION FOR INCLUSION IN IADB IS AT THE
DISCRETION OF ISIPP" and not whether it depends on successful passing
of the criteria. With the above sentence, even if I am the honest
man in the whole Internet it is up to your good will to be added to
the database or not.

The reservation of decision is *terribly* important, so that we don't
get a big fat spammer who techinically can say that they meet the other
requirements, so that therefore we *have* to list them (you wouldn't
want that, would you?)

If you can't find any definitive term to nail him down and separate him
from the "good guys" than this is a problem with the terms.
I will NEVER trust any system that depends on the good will of some
people and that backs up goodwill decisions with their terms of service.

sure falls within the "generally understood definition of "spam"".   If
it walks, smells, and quacks like spam, it's likely spam, and this goes
directly back to our reservation of rights.

Our abuse department receives spam complaints even for double opt-in
announcement/newsletter mailinglists of our customers for which *I
guarantee* that the only way to get an address on that list is with
double opt-in (with crypto support -> ezmlm).
Our abuse department receives spam complaints where people use a "service"
to get added to Internet lotteries and receive double opt-in confirmations
because the "service" always checks the "send me your newsletter" flag.
They claim that this is spam and unwanted.

How much time and money per complaint are you willing to spend to
investigate these cases? Are you going to hire interpreters if I am your
client (we're located in Germany) and you get complaints about "spam"
in German? Or are you making simple decisions based on your reservation
of rights?

We don't need another company that tries to centralize a service, take
money for it and then tries to play god with fluky rules.

Clearly you're thinking of my *previous* employer. :-b

No, I only said we don't need another company with the above ambitions.

        \Maex

--
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299