Re: [Asrg] Patent licenses

2004-05-07 19:37:19
[P]eople are going to use schemes that are either P.D. or
where patent owners offer free licenses as Microsoft says they're
going to do with Caller ID.

My reading of the license was that I need permission from Microsoft to
use CID, and that they may withhold it.
That's not free!  (Besides which, as Jeff Silverman just said on ASRG:

Contacts at MS have informally told me that the intention with the
CLID patents is to provide free permanent licenses to everyone.  They
realize that the current license doesn't say that, so presumably at
some point they'll revise the license to say what it's supposed to.
We'll see.

In any event, that was an example.  I think we all agree that a scheme
is much more likely to be adopted widely if people who use it don't
have to negotiate patent licenses.

Regards,
http://www.taugh.com