Re: [Asrg] SICS

2004-12-22 17:43:45
On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 03:15:40PM -0500, Seth Breidbart wrote

Rather than a "spam-blocking" program labelling something as spam
and blocking it, we should have an "unwanted-email-blocking
program".  When the spammer's lawyer screams "It's not spam, it's
ooga-booga.  Stop blocking my client's emails with your
'spam-blocking' program", we should respond that it's really an
'unwanted-email-blocking-program'.  And that our customer has
indicated that he doesn't want your email.

That doesn't work: the spammer will get a shill to sign up with your
ISP and claim he _wants_ the spam.

  I have a remote inbox at an ISP that has hacked up Qmail to allow
*END-USER-CONFIGURED* rulesets that block email *AT THE SMTP STAGE*.
Each user can have their own custom filters.  As a matter of fact, each
of the 10 email accounts that a user is allowed, can have different
rulesets.  I host my email domain with them.  My waltdnes ID is heavily
guarded.  My postmaster and abuse ID's are unfiltered, unless I run into
a really snotty spammer.

  As I said earlier, one size does not fit all.  The goal should be
end-user control, even if it's only an "on-off" switch for spam-blocking.
A serendipitous side-effect is that it defeats the shill-signs-up-at-ISP
stunt.

 Especially with threats of attorneys et al, there is NO feasible
way for a spammer to try to sue a recipient who has chosen to refuse
to accept, or read, the mail a spammer has tried to jam into the
recipient's mailbox.

You might have noticed that spammers don't limit themselves to
"feasible" lawsuits.

  In that case, why are you participating in this forum?  You might get
sued for contributing to tortious interference with a spammer's income.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes(_at_)waltdnes(_dot_)org>
An infinite number of monkeys pounding away on keyboards will