RE: [Asrg] user-level blacklisting patented

2005-03-16 17:22:49

I was reminded that the obtuse SMTP daemon was doing this in 1997.
Should be good prior art to bust this patent if anyone cares.

Pls send me links/references on this published prior to Jan 2000. I, more
than anyone else (at least right now) have more motiviation to continually
test the patent against prior art.

Right, your C/R certainly worked well to keep my response to
your mail out of your mailbox, so since there's no
quarantine, my mail just disappeared.  Way to go.

I didn't disappear. It bounced.  I'm purposely using a C/R email for this
list. I don't use it for all my email correspondence but I certainly use it
on a list that gets publicizied all over the place and the email addreses
present get harvested by countless spammers.

It's easy to build aggressive systems that keep all the spam
out of your mailbox.  What's hard is to build systems that do
so while getting the real mail through.  I realize that in
some circles it's acceptable to blame other people for mail
lost when they don't jump through your hoops, but I'm not
interested in going there, or you're going to have to face my
Turing test.

It's not a blame. It's a conscious decision. My philosophy is that the user
should be in control.  So for example, a "KeyMail" address like
peter(_dot_)levinelovesit(_at_)titankey(_dot_)com accepts mail from any sender
without CR and
auto-creates a whitelist based on senders.

The problem I've seen w/ most anti-spam approaches (and why I personally
believe they all fail) is that they treat all inbox content with the
identical ruleset when in fact not all email is the same. By using a twist
on the disposable email approach I can apply different rulesets to different
email addresses which ultimately all dump into a single inbox.

One thing I've learned from being on this list for > 2 yrs is that the
there's nearly no consensus on anything important related to spam, hence the
fact  that the only thing this group has been able to successfully do is
slam anyone that comes up with a new idea. That practically spells out the
fact that each user has different wants/needs and  should be empowered to
implement/enforce their own email acceptance policies from a cocktail menu.

Best,
Peter