Re: [Asrg] How about we do something about spam?

2007-01-30 13:17:03

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007, Michael Thomas wrote:

Daniel Feenberg wrote:
Even if it were "the solution", the PBL with something like 5-6 years of
accumulated "pool addresses" behind it (from many many sources) should
demonstrate that it's no easy task.  Pool listings are _frightfully_
expensive in man-hours to maintain.
One has to remember that MAPS killed open relays quite quickly - behavior modification works. The operators of MTAs behind generic addresses are almost all insignificant and can easily adopt a smarthost once they realize they need one. I understand it is hard to make major ISPs kowtow to RFCs. This isn't in that league of difficulty at all.
Talk about the law of unintended consequences. This gives an immense
amount of control to providers who have many, many built in conflicts. It's
not just email that's at stake here, but end user servers/services in general.
If we force everybody who would have the audacity to run their own services

Not everybody, only those with dynamic addresses. and only for port 25, and only when communicating with strangers, and they could use any smarthost that would have them, not just that of their ISP.

Dan Feenberg

to go through their local unfriendly ISP, then we might as well  rebuild the
circuit switched network with its stellar track record of delivering new and
innovative services. The ability to route around damage was one of the key
innovations of the net. I'd much rather keep that and look for other ways to
deal with our problems than reverting back to known dysfunction.

     Mike