Re: [Asrg] Re: Asrg Digest, DNSBL BCP v.2.0

2007-03-04 23:00:02
On Sun, 4 Mar 2007 15:17:55 -0500
 Matt Sergeant <msergeant(_at_)messagelabs(_dot_)com> wrote:
On 4-Mar-07, at 2:18 PM, <gep2(_at_)terabites(_dot_)com> <gep2(_at_)terabites(_dot_)com> wrote:

Simple question... *WHY WAS THE ROUTER/GATEWAY NOT BLOCKING PORT 25 TO/FROM ALL MACHINES EXCEPT AUTHORIZED INTERNAL MTAS* ??? If your
client had taken that one simple step, none of this would've happened.

Several issues there.

First, they have at least three or four internal machines (out of only about 15) running mail servers. (These servers were basically used as a speed buffer/queue for outgoing mail only).

Jeez - how much email does this 15 person company send??? A reasonable mail server can handle a million mails an hour - just how much "speed" do they need?

It's less an issue of speed than it is of simply convenience and auditability. The mail server software they use is simple freeware "EMWAC", not fancy but it suits their needs well. They probably send between 600-1000 E-mails per day, as far as their automatically system-generated ones go. Add to that whatever E-mails they personally send.

Third, the primary machine involved with their infection was in fact one of the machines running not just a mail server, but a critical app which does legitimately send E-mails as a key part of its job.

So lets get this straight - the mail server was being used as a desktop machine? I see no other way it could have been infected with a spam trojan than someone happened to be using it as a desktop.

That's right. The EMWAC mail server is an additional function on a machine they already have and are using (occasionally) as a desktop. That particular machine is also running an incoming mail processing bot I wrote for them, which retrieves incoming mail from an external mailbox, tracks outgoing E-mails and fax-by-mail messages, scheduling and reissuing them as necessary, routing various classes of incoming messages, reports on message deliveries (and non-delivery), eventually deletes delivered mail from the retry-holding queues, etc etc.

I'm sorry this happened to the company you administer, but clearly it has taught you some really important lessons about corporate network security that you can apply to future contracts. Frankly you should probably be glad they got CBL listed.

Well, it certainly HAS been a learning experience, but not so much because I don't understand network security. ;-) I certainly am even more convinced than before that wholesale IP address blocking is a terrible solution, because of the unacceptably blunt nature of the bludgeon.

The other issue, of course, is that IP address blocking is (again) REACTIVE, and only takes effect AFTER some amount of worm or spam traffic has been observed. Far better to instead not deliver the FIRST of the junk.

Also, and I should have replied to that other message earlier, but on the same lines, there was a question about when an RBL blacklisting should expire. I would think a listing should expire some number of hours after the last such bogus message was seen coming from that host.... rather than having to be removed manually. (And the reset delay could, for example, be increaed each time a subsequent infected message from that address (or, better, machine) is seen.

But again, NAT makes blocking a NAT router a terrible idea (and worse, depending on how many machines are downstream from that router).

Gordon Peterson
http://personal.terabites.com
1977-2007 Thirty year anniversary of local area networking