Re: [Asrg] Re: Asrg Digest, DNSBL BCP v.2.0

2007-03-04 19:46:18
On 3/4/07, gep2(_at_)terabites(_dot_)com <gep2(_at_)terabites(_dot_)com> wrote:
>> I think you can do FAR BETTER from a content standpoint
> (content analysis, such as Spam Assassin, following "a
> priori" blocking of mail from unknown/untrusted senders
> containing HTML or attachments) than you can using any
> kind of IP-based blacklisting or other "reputation"
> scheme.

> SpamAssassin (and other content filters) don't actually work the way you
think they do, on many levels.

> The major measurable component of spam is whether or not the sender
has permission to contact the recipient.

I disagree.  I have no objection at all to being contacted
by someone I've never met before.

It seems like you're perfectly able to run with that by not choosing
to use any sort of blacklists or filtering.

The trick then is deciding which of the NEW, first-time
contacts is likely to be unwanted.  Certainly, there are
various clues... including the presence of content
commonly used to evade filtering (decryption scripting,
obscured URLs, URL redirection, etc etc).

It's hard to take somebody seriously when they lean on things other
than consent as the primary measure as to whether or not something is
wanted or unwanted.

Good luck with that, as your disagreement with ASRG members, blacklist
operators, anti-spam activists, and most other folks dealing with
email sending or receiving runs quite a bit deeper than whether or not
IP-based reputation mechanisms are appropriate.

Let us know when you update your website to let people know that it's
okay to spam you as long as they don't obscure URLs, utilize
redirects, or encrypt content with scripting.

Regards,
Al Iverson
--
Al Iverson on Spam and Deliverabilty, see http://www.aliverson.com
Message copyright 2007 by Al Iverson. For posts to SPAM-L, permission