Re: [Asrg] Re: Asrg Digest, DNSBL BCP v.2.0

2007-03-03 10:59:35

On Mar 2, 2007, at 5:01 PM, gep2(_at_)terabites(_dot_)com wrote:

As you know, in a recent thread I commented on what a LOUSY solution IP-address-based blacklists are, in general.

Part of the problem is that it is a VERY blunt instrument, especially for companies which operate a large network from behind a NAT router.

Well, I've recently been personally involved in trying to put out just such a fire at one of my consulting clients.

Well, I recently presented a proposal that would have eliminated most of the damage that you experienced. But you trashed my proposal simply because it was based on blocking IP addresses.

You need to realize that blocking IP addresses that are sending spam is one of the most effective and least costly tools admins have for stopping the bulk of the spam tide. Even in your case, there was spam coming from your IP address and blocking that address stopped the spam and got your immediate attention. The problem as I see it is that the current blacklists are too slow to remove the blocks once the spamming has been stopped so there is no reward for quickly cleaning up or shutting down the infected PC.