Re: [Asrg] Re: Asrg Digest, DNSBL BCP v.2.0

2007-03-05 01:05:38
On Sun, 4 Mar 2007 23:33:21 -0800 (PST)
 "william(at)elan.net" <william(_at_)elan(_dot_)net> wrote:

On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 gep2(_at_)terabites(_dot_)com wrote:

And it's very hard to carry on a meaningful discussion with someone who thinks that nobody needs to get (legitimate) "first contact" e-mails from people, and can't understand that spam is NOT the same thing as "legitimate first-contact E-mails".

I think its the spammers who don't understand what is "legitimate first-contact E-mails" or rather they do and they are taking advantage of it quite well.

Certainly they have gotten very adept at obscuring the purpose of their E-mail, and at evading filters designed specifically to keep their garbage out.

But let me give you a few hypothetical examples and you can tell me which of these are and are not spam:

Before we get into your examples (and yes, they're interesting) let me point out that I probably wouldn't object TOO strenuously to recieving most any of them, THE FIRST TIME. Obviously the ones toward the top of the list are less objectionable than those at the bottom.

But also, you're falling into the trap of believing that you can make a determination based only on content (or only on the header). Specifically, I'd be less annoyed by ANY of these if they came from (say) someone whose name I recognized as a frequent poster to one of the lists I'm on.

I really believe that matching up mail content with senders you recognize is a major key to identifying legitimate from illegitimate mail (i.e. mail you've seen coming from someone, even if not previously directed specifically to you (an example, mail to a mailing list you subscribe to)).

Once you have seen the same come-on several times, it becomes tiresome and annoying.

Email example 1:

"Hi, Let me introduce myself - I'm William. I've read your comment on ASRG mail list and I'm doing research on anti-spam technologies and would like to talk to you about spam-related issues you have experienced"

I'd definitely not consider this one spam. It's a good intro message, since it identifies where he found my E-mail address, indicates a common interest, and thus establishes a reason for contacting me, and indicates what he wishes to discuss further.

Email example 2:

"Hi, Let me introduce myself - I'm William. I've read your comment on ASRG mail list and would like to talk to you about spam-related
issues you have experienced"

Same.

I will note that it is not at all guaranteed that an automatic content scanner will make these subtle distinctions.

Generally, what one will do will be to add new rules to the content scanner as one sees more and more spam mail fitting a given and (too-)familiar pattern.

Email example 3:

"Hi, Let me introduce myself - I'm William. I've read your comment on ASRG mail list and would like to talk to you about your business
anti-spam protection and email deliverability issues"

Again, I wouldn't judge this as spam. He identified the ASRG list (which I subscribe to) and asks a question relevant to THAT list.

Email example 4:

"Hi, Let me introduce myself - I'm William. I've read your comment on a mail list. I work for company XYZ and we have a great product called 'XYZ super server' that will take care of all your anti-spam
and email deliverability needs.

I'd probably put this in a "questionable" category, presuming that I don't have a rule (yet?) regarding e-mails about "XYZ super server".

Email example 5:

"Hi, Let me introduce myself - I'm William. I work for company XYZ and we have a great product called 'XYZ gold server' that will take care of all your anti-spam and email deliverability needs.

I might have a rule that indicates I'm interested in anti-spam and mail deliverabilty issues.

Email example 6:

"Hi, Let me introduce myself - I'm Monica. I've noticed that you spend lots of time online making comments on various mail lists. I'm currently doing psychology research on the issues faced by
internet addicts and would like to talk to you"

On this one, I probably wouldn't consider it spam, the first time. If I started getting 2-3 like this per week, coming from a variety of random names, I'd then tag it as spam.

Email example 7:

"Hi, Let me introduce myself - I'm Monica. I've noticed that you spend lots of time online making comments on various mail lists and believe you maybe lonely. I'm currently doing psychology research sponsored by XYZ consoling services on the issues faced
internet addicts and would like to talk to you."

Again, a questionable case but one that wouldn't piss me off, THE FIRST TIME.

Email example 8:

"Hi, Let me introduce myself - I'm Monica. I've noticed that you spend lots of time online and believe you maybe lonely. My psychology research sponsored by XYZ consoling services found that people like you would be interested in visiting XYZ match making services site
at xyz.example"

If I got a lot of mail promoting the site in question, I'd set up a rule blocking E-mails mentioning that site, unless they came from someone I expected such stuff to come from.

Email example 9:

"Hi, Let me introduce myself - I'm Monica. I've noticed that you spend lots of time online and believe you maybe lonely. I'm lonely too and looking for people to talk to and have s_x online. Please
come and visit my site monica.example

Likewise. If I had listed "monica.example" as a spam-promoted site, I'd probably end up telling my filter to sequester or T-can such messages, depending on how predictably and frequently I received those.

William Leibzon
Elan Networks
william(_at_)elan(_dot_)net

Again, content itself isn't really sufficient. I also want to consider who the mail is from, so I could more likely pay attention if it's someone I already know.

Gordon Peterson
http://personal.terabites.com
1977-2007 Thirty year anniversary of local area networking