Re: [Asrg] Final(?) draft of DNSwL draft

2007-07-29 22:35:55
Based on a very quick read:

Reference [3] should probably point to something at Trend; the page at
mail-abuse.com looks like a temporary redirect.

Section 2.1 refers to the address values used "may have other values as
described below" but, aside from some discussion of how values may be
logically ORed, I didn't find this.  If there isn't a consistent set of
meanings, please say so.

Section 2 should also have some discussion of the operational problems
associated with DNSxLs, such as the problem that one has if one is
received an allocation for a "tainted" IP address.  There is no
consistent means of getting off all the DNSBLs that people use. You
might also mention how many DNSBLs there are.

Section 3 should mention the need for some sort of email authentication
in order for the domain name to be meaningful.

-Jim

John L wrote:
I got some review comments back from the IRTF on the DNSwL draft, so
I've done another version:

    http://asrg.sp.am/draft-irtf-asrg-dnsbl-03.txt

Please take a look, if nobody hates it I'll send it off on Monday.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet
for
Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://www.johnlevine.com, ex-Mayor
"More Wiener schnitzel, please", said Tom, revealingly.

PS: The comments said:

I have done a review of this document.  I think it could use a bit
more attention in section 2.3.  This section mentions an
"organization" may use a variety of DNSxLs for different purposes.
I believe this statement can be expanded and made more clear.  In
particular, the next sentence discusses "multiple sublists", but no
definition has yet been given for just what that is, and how it
relates to an organization and its variety of DNSxLs.  In the next
paragraph it mentions subdomains and sublists.

I think with another pass on this part {and a definition for the term
rDNS
in 2.1} and the doc would be ok.