Re: [Asrg] Round 2 of the DNSBL BCP - "collateral damage"

2008-04-02 21:27:49
My other thought was exactly that - explicitly use the "based list"
definition, note/acknowledge the variations of "B" in common usage, and
briefly enumerate the other types of "based list" (DNSWL etc), mention
scoring etc.

Personally, I like the idea of defining DNSBL as DNS Based List as
it simply implies list data served up via DNS and it's generic enough
to encompass the various flavors - RHSBL's, URIBL's etc.

Whereas 'Blocklist' implies an action of blocking and the associated
collateral damage. Really, it's the consumer of the data that decides
on the action whether that be blocking, grey listing, tarpitting or even
bypassing spam filtering based on the data returned by the query.

Just my 2c and I'd like to thank all of you working on the document.

Rgds,

David

--
David Cawley
Product Development

MailChannels - Reliable Email Delivery
http://mailchannels.com
778 785 6145 tel
604 677 6320 fax

Chris Lewis wrote:
Matthew Sullivan wrote:

J D Falk wrote:

Chris Lewis thought:

der Mouse wrote:

 [ . . . ]

Might I suggest DNSL, then, instead of DNSBL?

 That, is one of the thoughts I had.

This is a Best Current Practices document, and thus we've already been
through arguments about intorducing new practices that aren't currently
in widespread use.  Shouldn't we similarly avoid introducing new /words/
that aren't currently in widespread use?

Well ya know I've seen DNSBL = DNS Based List as well as DNS Black List
and DNS Block List.... and you know what for ages I thought the original
definition was DNS Based List (just because that is exactly what it is).

My other thought was exactly that - explicitly use the "based list"
definition, note/acknowledge the variations of "B" in common usage, and
briefly enumerate the other types of "based list" (DNSWL etc), mention
scoring etc.

That's similar to what I did with the terms "spam", "velveeta", "jello"
when I wrote the usenet spam FAQ back in 1994.  That document introduced
new terms that are used til this day (and nobody's used "velveeta" or
"jello" since then, thank heavens.