Re: [Asrg] FeedBack loops

2008-11-11 17:21:13
On 11/11/2008 15:04, "Franck Martin" <franck(_at_)avonsys(_dot_)com> wrote:

Well a bit of background.

Is the ARF standard well accepted, I see AOL and a couple use them. I see also
that hiding the user that reports the spam may not allow for the recipient of
the report to act correctly.

Very well accepted, yes.  Nearly every complaint feedback loop uses ARF.

Are there any tools/library available around ARF, to 1) create these reports
2) parse/process them

http://wordtothewise.com/resources/arf.html has some.

Any chance to have these tools build in in major MTAs ? Does it make sense?

I'm not sure what that would achieve.  The actual process is:

1. $A sends a message to $B
2. $B complains to $C (their ISP) about the message (example the "spam"
button in the Yahoo! Mail web UI)
3. $C encapsulates the message as ARF, and sends it to $A (if $A has signed
up to receive that feedback)

Lots of people want to make it more complicated, but it really is that
simple today.

Could they be an after the fact fbl? let say I want to know if my email got
delivered,  query an mta, supplying some data like domain/sender IP, and the
mta sends me any report over last few hours..

No, ARF isn't (as far as I know) used for delivery reports.  It was created
for -- and is primarily used for -- user complaints, as described above.