Re: [Asrg] FeedBack loops

2008-11-12 14:40:34
list washing if he knows who received the email and reported otherwise the list
owner mark as spam the report ;)

----- Original Message -----
From: "SM" <sm(_at_)resistor(_dot_)net>
To: "Anti-Spam Research Group - IRTF" <asrg(_at_)irtf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Thursday, 13 November, 2008 7:16:01 AM (GMT+1200) Auto-Detected
Subject: Re: [Asrg] FeedBack loops

At 10:00 12-11-2008, J.D. Falk wrote:
If a statistically valid sample of an ISP's users (as processed by their own
user reputation systems) think something is spam, why would that ISP
disagree?

That's an interesting question.

I know it's a big shift in thinking from the classic anti-spammer attitude,
particularly the pornography test (I know it when I see it.) But, it's a
shift that all of the big ISPs have already made: they'll listen to their
users before they'll listen to random external parties.

The pornography test is a way to avoid having to deal with the
end-user's definition of spam. I'm going to give an example based on
your first question. I'm subscribed to this mailing list. Due to
the high volume of list traffic, I no longer want to receive the
emails. I click on a button in my MUA to report the email as spam
(it's unwanted). A feedback report is sent to the mailing list owner
with all user identifiers removed. There are ways around that but
let's not get into that. How does the mailing list owner deal with
the problem?

Regards,
-sm