Re: [Asrg] Email Postage (was Re: FeedBack loops)

2008-11-17 20:45:40
The post office can do postage because it alone offers the service and can verify the postage, whether you print it or not.

In email, how will this work? Who does the verification? If it's the recipient system, this is NOTHING LIKE postage, which is verified by the sending transport. If it's the sending system in email, then as a spammer, I'd just not do that check. The post office provides a centralized service, whereas email goes about its business without any such centralization or agreements between POs of different countries. Same goes for telephone service that was used before as a poor analogy.

You keep saying they are all arguments against postage are "strawmen," which itself is tiring of you, but why don't you do a bit more research on it and propose something substantially thought out and then we can discuss it. Clearly these pointless emails we're sending are not moving the idea forward in your opinion, and certainly they are not in mine, so more details need to be worked out before you bring it up for discussion. Nobody builds consensus or a new standard through point/counterpoint email exchanges with zero details and no blueprint spec. Some real work should be done first, making a reasoned proposal that others can then review and consider its merits. The best standards are ones that are shown to work in practice first, not in advance. There are many good ideas, especially standards created before being built, that turn out less than stellar in practice or worldwide acceptance (WEP, much OSI, CORBA....).

And like my company does, there are lots of messaging platforms that work well and have no spam/virus/bot issues and are in the marketplace now. These are not international standards (yet?) and certainly are not replacements for today's email. But work progresses....

David