Re: [Asrg] Email Postage (was Re: FeedBack loops)

2008-11-17 23:15:40
Barry Shein <bzs(_at_)world(_dot_)std(_dot_)com> wrote:

But what are you saying, that it's impossible to generate a key
which, to a high degree of probability, can be verified as authentic
to some purpose?

Verified by whom, and why should they bother?

The Post Office verifies the stamps, because it sells them, and uses
them to ensure that you paid for its service.

Like that this wouldn't fly because grandma wouldn't pay for it and
I pointed out (again) that in my scheme I wouldn't charge grandma,
only large bulk users, so that's a (dare I say it again) straw man.

I receive one message at a time.  How do I know if it's from grandma
(so I don't need to look for a stamp), or a bulk sender?

What should be painfully obvious is that I've said about a dozen
times now that the goal here is to treat all bulk emailers alike in
an attempt to create an economic incentive.

I do _not_ want to treat all bulk emailers alike.  When American
Express sends me email, I want to receive it.  When Joe 419 sends me
email, I want not to receive it.

If I charge American Express, I'm not going to get the email I want
(or they'll charge me more, also undesirable).

If I charge Joe 419 but not grandma, he'll use grandma's infected
computer to send me email.

Seth