Re: [Asrg] Email Postage (was Re: FeedBack loops)

2008-11-18 06:59:44
 It kills this model dead at any interesting message volume.

True for central authority of crypto cookies, or highly complex algorithms
that require significant CPU resources, but what if recipients issued and
tracked their own "crypto cookies" (stamps) that senders could obtain in a
standard automated method?

You're suggesting that each sender has to negotiate with each recipient
before it can send mail?  Man, if there's a faster way to kill e-mail,
I don't know what it is.

overhead.  The recipient would need to balance their risk of accepting
duplicate cookies with the amount of resource they wanted to dedicate to
generating unbreakable cookies.

The issue isn't counterfeit stamps, it's real stamps being used more
than once.  The only way we know to prevent double spending is to have
a bank that remembers which ones have been spent and cancels them in
real time as requests come in.  That turns out to be an extremely
difficult database problem, high speed consistent updates.  We have to
assume that spammers will be as hostile as possible, so they'd buy a
hundred stamps, than mailbomb you with a hundred thousand messages,
each of which had one of the hundred genuine stamps.

R's,
John