Re: [Asrg] Dictionary Attacks

2008-11-18 14:24:23
On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 12:46 PM, der Mouse
<mouse(_at_)rodents-montreal(_dot_)org> wrote:

For a reporting procedure to be practical, we need to avoid the
N * M problem.

I don't see why carrying them over email produces an N*M problem in any
way that any other transport doesn't - that is, I don't think this
(regardless of how true or false it is) has anything to do with using
mail to abuse@ as the transport.

Statistical methods can identify a "normal" level of bad addresses and
issue infrequent (no more than daily) reports pointing out spikes.  I
imagine that were World to set that up, earthlink would find it
helpful.  I may be naive.  For aggregation, a standard reporting
format would obviously be cool, but attempting to define that by
anyone other than the parties engaged in the sharing of said
statistics would undoubtedly do something wrong, and why doesn't
earthlink cook out the information from their own logs if they care?