Re: [Asrg] Email Postage (was Re: FeedBack loops)

2008-11-21 02:20:21
On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 8:38 PM, Bart Schaefer
<schaefer(_at_)brasslantern(_dot_)com>wrote:

Unfortunately, this is only half (maybe less than half) of the case
I think you need to make.  It's not enough to point out that imposing
some kind of delivery cost would stick it to the nasty spammers.

You also have to demonstrate that it makes good financial sense for
those who will be issuing and verifying the stamps (or whatever the
means of inflicting the delivery cost may be) to re-engineer their
email system (and maybe other out-of-band technology) to support the
payment scheme.

Yes, it is the recipient that decides to enforce a "stamp" framework
and has to decide if it makes financial sense to re-engineer their
mail system.  So how do you suggest that such a standard would
require the minimal effort to implement?  Might there be a way to
leverage existing technology to locate a recipient's stamp generator,
interact with the stamp generator, and affix a stamp to a message?
I envisage that such a system could leverage existing web servers
for stamp generators with stamp verification performed within filter
rules of existing MTA's or MUA's.   Maybe that's workable, but
maybe there's a better way.

I don't see that other details, like the value of the stamp, or the way of
collecting that value, or the way of verifying the "stamp" need to be
defined
within such a standard, just how a sender gets a stamp and then affixes it.

BTW:  I personally prefer the term "token" instead of "stamp" since
I believe that within such a framework, many recipients would not require
the "cost" of a stamp to be monetary.  I also happen to believe that such a
system would, over time, converge to use a micropayment system like what
Barry described.

Goodmail CertifiedMail(TM) is not based on an open standard,
requires a central authority, and requires a sender's ISP to implement it
in their MTA.  I believe a "stamp" framework could be defined such that it
is open, distributed, and able to be implemented in either MTA's or MUA's.

Gerald