Re: [Asrg] Email Postage (was Re: FeedBack loops)

2008-11-21 06:25:06

--On 20 November 2008 19:12:17 -0500 Barry Shein
<bzs(_at_)world(_dot_)std(_dot_)com> wrote:

Someone like Amazon maybe sends out a few million messages per day, I
have no idea, let's call it 20M/day. That would be $2/day. That still
seems too low but you get the idea. Maybe Amazon et al should pay
O($1,000)/day, the spammer should face O($100,000/day), and the
average user 1c approaching zero.

Facebook send about 10,000 messages a day to my site - it's about 10% of our non-spam email, so it's about 1% of our total email. My guess is that facebook don't monetize email like amazon do, so we ought to consider what the cost to them will be.

But, we can't do accounting before we can do accountability. With accountability, we have the opportunity to impose costs through the courts, or simply to build better spam filters. If that fails, at least we'll be half way to implementing direct charging.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex