Re: [Asrg] Email Postage (was Re: FeedBack loops)

2008-11-23 19:04:46

Advenge is a scheme of the second type of those two types.

The advantages for the early adopters include:
  * control over what is allowed into the in-box, meaning easier of
     unsubscription from mailing lists
  * no more false positives caught in spam folder
  * no spam folder at all
  * income stream

It immediately decreases spam for those who are using it; and does not
decrease spam for everybody.  I believe we have been over many times
that insisting that a solution apply to everyone instantaneously is
like trying to teach a pig to sing.
If 99% of the others are not using it, then you can only eliminate by not accepting email from those 99% who are not participating. And if you accept from those 99%, you have the same problems as before.

Adoption of standards is just plain hard unless it's easy to adopt and can be widely done, usually because big players want to take part. Many are even adopted by a lot of folks, but never really catch on, such as OSI/ITU communications, ASN.1 data encoding, CORBA interprocess communications, ADA programming, SGML markup, PKI security (beyond HTTPS which was enforced by the popularity of browsers even though self-signed certs keep Internet communications as secure -- and with EVI, apparently even the claim earlier that we could trust having certs issued by CAs turned out not to be true)....

I don't see how early adopters get this benefit in any meaningful way....like SPF/SenderID, DKIM, S/MIME didn't do much to reduce spam because few will reject emails that don't comply, even if they may use them "some."

David