Re: [Asrg] Email Postage (was Re: FeedBack loops)

2008-11-21 17:06:24

Whoa. We're going from ``goodmail has a patented scheme'' to ``that
patent scheme would apply to e-postage'' (???) to ``therefore the idea
is a loser'' rather glibly.

I wouldn't be so quick to play patent lawyer and assume that said
patent applies. I'd prefer to hear from a patent expert. I haven't
heard anyone cite the patent number so it just sounds like a WAG.

More importantly, plenty of stuff which comes out of IETF involves
patented technologies. It just generally requires that the patent
holder basically make their patent available or other concessions.

Often they have an interest in doing that so their technology becomes
a standard, usually in the belief that they have a head start in
implementation and corporate infrastructure, sales, reputation, etc,
letting it be an open standard would vastly increase the marketplace,
so all is good.

I'm not an expert on that (IETF policies and history regarding
patented technology) but perhaps someone else knows.

So, besides the fact that any applicability of said patent may be a
stretch, it's not a death-sentence, the phrase "it's patented!"  is
not automatically, by itself, a deal breaker.

--
        -Barry Shein

The World              | bzs(_at_)TheWorld(_dot_)com           |
http://www.TheWorld.com
Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Login: Nationwide