Re: [Asrg] A paper/project worth considering (found it!)

2008-12-04 11:19:05
Seth wrote:
Rich Kulawiec <rsk(_at_)gsp(_dot_)org> wrote:
On Wed, Dec 03, 2008 at 09:35:13PM +0530, J.D. Falk wrote:
I think user feedback is unreliable and shouldn't be trusted:
As previously discussed, modern reputation algorithms take that into account
-- for the very reasons you've discussed.  However, the logic is almost
always proprietary.
<chuckle> I don't see why: "ignore it completely, as it's obviously garbage"
is a pretty simple algorithm.

When you're the size of AOL, .1 bits of information per button press
still yields a lot of useful data.

Even when you're the size of us (almost _exactly_ 1000 times smaller in
all numbers), it's still quite useful information.

We have a TIS button.  I have no reason to believe that the error rate
on hitting it is even as bad as 5%.

Do we block an IP on one TIS hit?  No.  We compute good/bad ratios and
have heuristics on when its high enough to do something about.