Re: [Asrg] A paper/project worth considering (found it!)

2008-12-04 06:51:10
On Wed, Dec 03, 2008 at 09:35:13PM +0530, J.D. Falk wrote:
I think user feedback is unreliable and shouldn't be trusted:

As previously discussed, modern reputation algorithms take that into account
-- for the very reasons you've discussed.  However, the logic is almost
always proprietary.

<chuckle> I don't see why: "ignore it completely, as it's obviously garbage"
is a pretty simple algorithm.

One of the interesting related questions (for which I don't have an
answer) is "what number and diversity of spamtraps are required to have
X probability of noticing a spam run of volume Y in time Z?"

Sounds like an interesting research project.  Go for it.

I've actually been slowing working on this for many years, and have
tentatively concluded that it may not be answerable.  The effort hasn't
been entirely wasted, as I've been able to prove to my satisfaction that
list-washing has long since been extended from email addresses to domains,
MX's, networks and other constructs.  This suggests that (unlike perhaps
a decade ago) the utility of "local" spamtraps may be increasing confined
to less sophisticated spammers, as more clueful ones have found it
worth the effort to avoid them.  I've been able to draw a few other
conclusions along the way as well, but I'm becoming convinced that
there may be too many variables in play to effectively answer the
core question.

---Rsk