Re: [Asrg] We really don't need no stinkin IMAP or POP foram button to M

2010-02-06 14:38:17
You've postulated a particular, idiosynchratic operational environment with thousands of administers. There's nothing "wrong" with that environment, but we need to be careful that we don't require that it's characteristics dictate design requirements for everyone.

Of course. But what I've been hearing in this discussion is way too much of "that environment isn't like mine, so it's too exotic to worry about." A large mail hosting company with thousands of POP and IMAP customers should be the ideal environment for an MUA spam button, particularly since they already have a button in their web mail. If we come up with something that they can't use, we've failed.

Basically, with an environment of the sort you describe, everything is relatively more difficult.

That hasn't been my experience. They make all sorts of changes, but they don't make changes that require every reseller to change the DNS for every customer.

While it's fine to try to design something so that it's scaling characteristics are /better/ than linear, but it's typically also acceptable for it to be linear.

I really don't understand all the resistance to a header applied by the MDA. Yes, this will require a one-time change to the MDA, but you get a much more solid system that doesn't fail in mysterious ways when people have legitimate mail setups that happen to differ from the one the designer anticipated. It's not unlike the advantage of DKIM over SPF.

Regards,