Re: [Asrg] We don't need no stinkin IMAP or POP, was Adding a spam button to MUAs

2010-02-06 14:21:57

On 2/6/2010 12:09 PM, John Levine wrote:
Their POP and IMAP servers have thousands of different names, one for
each hosting customer.

They've already got the thousands of different names.  Adding a second
to the DNS provisioning mechanism won't be that hard.

In case it wasn't clear, each customer sets up his own DNS and CNAME.
This means that if the mail provider adds this feature, they have to
contact several thousand resellers and get them all to update their
DNS.  I would characterize that as hard.

You've postulated a particular, idiosynchratic operational environment with thousands of administers. There's nothing "wrong" with that environment, but we need to be careful that we don't require that it's characteristics dictate design requirements for everyone.

Basically, with an environment of the sort you describe, everything is relatively more difficult.

While it's fine to try to design something so that it's scaling characteristics are /better/ than linear, but it's typically also acceptable for it to be linear.

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking