Re: [Asrg] We don't need no stinkin IMAP or POP, was Adding a spam button to MUAs

2010-02-06 11:43:30
Pardon me since I haven't been paying complete attention, but is there any assumption that the mail store itself is the one that you'd be shipping these arf reports to? Given that a lot of them are Exchange which typically have little to do with anti-spam, that wouldn't be a very good
assumption.

Mike, sorry if I'm restating the obvious

Chris Lewis wrote:
John Levine wrote:
Make the ARF reporting address a configurable option, but default it to a role account at the email domain of the machine from which incoming mail is obtained.

Now it's not opt-in by the mailstore provider.

We need to have it self-configuring if the mailstore provides the service. Which either means a standard role account for it, or, some way for the mailstore to tell the UA what address to use.

IOW: pure user configurable doesn't do that.

In-stream configuration (via MDA or MTA) would work, but it requires the MDA/MTA be modified. Which we're avoiding.

We've been talking about using DNS for some of the signalling. You could specify a "_report.<mailstore hostname>" TXT record that specifies the address (which isn't necessarily in the mailstore's domain) to send it _and_ its very existence shows that the mailstore provider supports the functionality (and thus the TiS button gets enabled).

Now, if the TXT record doesn't exist, we could suggest that the user could set their own abuse report destination. But I'd rather not get into a situation where the user overrides the mailstore's explicit choice.