Re: [Asrg] We don't need no stinkin IMAP or POP, was Adding a spam button to MUAs

2010-02-06 00:23:36
I think the latest round of discussion has eliminated any interest in the
message retrieval mechanism.

Um, this discussion has been about keying the ARF report to the name
of the POP or IMAP server, remember?

name of.

But if you pick up the mail using something other than POP or IMAP,
there's no server and no name.

I don't see any a priori reason to expect MUAs to be any worse at
looking up SRV than looking up TXT.

What about:  TXT is older and pervasive?

SRV has been around for 15 years, and it's intended for telling you
where a domain provides a particular service, which is what we're
doing here.  Is there DNS software we care about that can support TXT
with a funny name but not SRV?

Is there some reason this line of design debate is being based on
theory rather than empirical knowledge?

I hope not.  If the age of the RR type is important, I would suggest
using HINFO, which was defined four years before TXT was.  If we agree
that's a silly distinction, why is TXT vs. HINFO silly, but SRV
vs. TXT is not?

R's,
John