Re: [Asrg] We don't need no stinkin IMAP or POP, was Adding a spam button to MUAs

2010-02-05 23:27:18
Also, everyone's talking about POP and IMAP as if they were all there
is.  What about cases where the user's mailbox is accessed other ways?

I think the latest round of discussion has eliminated any interest in the
message retrieval mechanism.

Um, this discussion has been about keying the ARF report to the name
of the POP or IMAP server, remember?

I pick up my mail through an SSH tunnel to my imap server, so my MUA
thinks the name of the server is localhost:2143.  I have no idea how
many people use MUAs picking up mail other than by contacting a named
POP or IMAP server, but the number is definitely greater than zero.

Some mail collection methods that break the all IMAP and POP theory:

* WebDAV (Outlook Express has used that to pick up Hotmail)

* Various sorts of tunnels that mask the address of the server

* Reading the mail store via NFS

* Uucp or other batched delivery to a local mail store

R's,
John