Re: [Asrg] Spam Salt, an email sender authentication mechanism

2010-09-28 11:49:57

On Sep 27, 2010, at 6:15 PM, Kai Engert wrote:

Dear members of the ASRG mailing list,

I'd like to present you my anti-spam idea which I call Spam Salt.

Abstract:
The idea is to assign an additional secret key (salt) to each email user
account. The email sender uses the salt and the message contents to calculate
a hash value and adds that hash value as a new email header. For each email
domain a verification server is registered in the DNS that can be contacted
to verify the authenticity of messages that contain a hash value in the email
headers. An email recipient can contact a verification server and filter
incoming messages based on the verification response. As soon as multiple
email recipients report that a sender is sending spam, the sender's salt gets
changed, and future verification requests for messages that used the older
salt will fail and such messages can be rated as Spam.

I'd like to invite you to read the detailed description of this idea,
available at
http://kuix.de/spamsalt/

I'm looking forward to your feedback.
Thanks a lot in advance.

There are some obvious flaws with this from your brief description. It's
possible that you've addressed them in your full document.

But if you want people to look at it in more detail you might want to expand on
the patent and intellectual property rights you're claiming, and the terms
under which the patent will be licensed to implementors (it's possible that I
should be able to infer that from the mention of openinventionnetwork - but
from a quick read of their website, it appears that they don't offer patent
licenses to anyone other than Linux developers, so I'm presuming I'm reading
that wrong).

Cheers,
  Steve