[ietf-clear] No callbacks, please, was Re. CLEAR Charter

2004-10-03 07:49:04
We can not keep tacking crap onto DNS and this is why I continue
with my insistence of a callback service unaffiliated with DNS.

Hmmn.  We can't even get people to deploy a new DNS record type within
an existing well defined spec, and you're proposing a new scheme, with
new servers, new clients, new ports to poke holes in firewalls, and
new rules for NAT boxes to translate and forward packets.  It'll also
need new caches if its data purports to be cacheable, and new tools to
create the data and debug the results.  Good luck.

Although I sympathize with your desire to move the work away from
recipients, callbacks don't move the work to the sender, they move it
to the innocent victims of address forgery.  There's more spam than
real mail, and the spam all has forged return addresses.

Any sort of per message callback (or per sender callback which amounts
to the same thing in view of the random way spammers forge return
addresses), will be in practice a DDOS on forged domains.  Only a
little of the spam with forged abuse.net bounces back to me, but
dealing with the existing bounces is an issue.  I don't want to think
about what would happen if every recipient of all that spam started
asking me "is this one OK?" even if the question is as lightweight as
a DNS query.

CLEAR already has BATV and CSV on the table.  We have plenty of people
who are ready to move them ahead as standards, and I suspect that I am
not the only one here who has no interest in new UDP services or
callbacks.

If you want to build some sort of C/R system, I encourage you to round
up anyone else who thinks that C/R is a good idea, charter a C/R
working group starting with SES, TMDA, and any other C/R schemes that
people are trying out, and use the IETF process to move something
ahead on the standards track.  If people want to try it, fine, the
world can do some experiments to see what happens and a draft standard
will let me know which ports to block in my router.

Regards,
http://www.taugh.com